Virtual Conference Presentation Guidelines
IMPORTANT: To ensure the proper execution of this virtual conference, please pay special attention to the instructions below. If you have any questions or difficulties following the guidelines, please contact thePEACeSecretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will be happy to help.
- How will the conference work?
- Preparing your presentation
- Uploading your pre-recorded presentation
- Preparing for your virtual session
- Conference background for Zoom
- To access the virtual conference
The conference will be delivered over a professional platform, Zoom, and will be managed by a highly competent and very experienced technical team. The conference platform is rich with features such as text-based chat, Q&A box, questions with polls and more.
All Presentations (Keynote, Speakers and Posters/Express Presentation) have to be pre-recorded to improve the quality of the delivery, avoid going over time and avoid any technical issue. However, speakers should be virtually present for their entire session in order to answer questions and participate in the discussion.
The virtual conference will be similar to any in-person conference. Presentations are assembled in sessions according to a theme and they are assigned a virtual room. A chairperson coordinates each session. All registered attendees can attend all technical sessions and switch from session to session at will. Participants access the session of their choice by entering a virtual room via a hyperlink.
As with in-person conferences, there will also be a dedicated period for questions and discussion after the presentations. Participants will be able to use a Q&A box (similar to a chat) to ask questions during and right after the presentations. The session’s chairperson will then select a few questions, depending on the time allocated for the discussion, and will read them to the presenter, who will be able to answer verbally during the session. The presenter will also be able to answer, after her/his session, any remaining questions through the Q&A box.
All sessions will be fully recorded for post-conference streaming so that all registered attendees will be able to revisit the sessions and catch up with the talks they've missed. Please note that we automatically assume that presenters accept their recorded presentation to be made available to participants for post-conference streaming on PEACe website. In case of refusal, presenters need to notify us at PEACe@conferium.com by September 10, 2021 and the secretariat will manage the requests.
- Keynote Speaker: The time allocated to each keynote speaker is 30 minutes (25’ pre-recorded presentation followed by a 5’ for questions).
- Contributed Talk (Oral): The time allocated to each contributed talk is 15 minutes (12’ pre-recorded presentation followed by a 3’ for questions).
- Express Presentation (Poster) : The time allocated to each express presentation speakers is 5 minutes (5’ pre-recorded).
For a pre-recorded presentation, you will have to record yourself narrating a digital version of your presentation. You are free to choose the style of presentation you want, you can decide to record only your slides, yourself or both. It is suggested to use creative methods, e.g. subtitles, animations and video, to enhance your presentation further.
You can use the software or application of your choice to prerecord your presentation. Different tools are available to assist you and enhance your presentation, please find some suggestions below:
- Zoom (How to pre-record Your Screen and Yourself with ZOOM)
- Microsoft Powerpoint (Instruction video)
- Prezi (Instruction for a video)
More information to improve your video presentation
If you wish to allow attendees to contact you after the conference, make sure to include your name and email address on the last slide of your presentation.
The question period will take place in livestream following your presentation. The technical staff will give you access to the discussion and the session chair will lead the question period.
We ask that you submit your recorded video no later than Monday, September 6, 2021.
When you are ready to upload your presentation, gather the following information before entering the uploading system:
- Recorded video file (please remember to use the abstract reference number to rename your video).
Accepted formats are: .wmv, .mp4 or .mov
The following formats are NOT accepted: .ppsx, .pptx, .ppt, .pps
- Reference number (you will find it in the acceptance notice email sent by PEACe secretariat).
- Access code (you will find it in the acceptance notice email sent byPEACesecretariat).
- To upload your video to our server, you have to access your submitted abstract. Please click on the link below and use the access code provided previously by PEACe Secretariat.
- Once your are logged in your file, click on « Upload your video here », the button on the top menu bar, and follow the steps.
- At the end of the process, please do not forget to click on "Finalize" button to validate your entry or your modifications.
Before the conference starts
- Please upload your pre-recorded presentation following the instructions above before September 6, 2021.
- In order to enter the platform, make sure you are registered to the conference. If so, you should have received your registration number and access code in the Automated acknowledgment of your registration email.
*Please note that the access code will be sent in a reminder few days before the conference to all registrants
- Find your presentation in the online program as scheduled.
- Make sure to install Zoom on your computer or update it to Version 5.4; it will be requested to access the platform.
- Test your internet speed, we recommend an Internet connection download speed of at least 2.5Mbps. Click here to test your connection speed.
- A microphone is recommended as well as a quiet place cut off from ambient noise for better interactions. Moreover, a USB connected headset will offer a better sound quality.
A technical staff will be assigned to each virtual session to ensure smooth transitions between presentations and promote speakers when needed (e.g. question period). A session chair will also be assigned to each session to facilitate and oversee time and question period.
Before the session starts
- Please make sure to join the virtual session 10 minutes prior to the start. (Find how to access your session in the section 6 «To access the virtual conference» )
- When entering the session, make sure to identify yourself with your FIRST NAME and LAST NAME to help the technical staff and session chair finding you easily.
- The technical staff will then promote you as speaker when required.
- As a speaker, please note that you will be live as soon as you open your microphone and/or your camera after being promoted as such by the moderator. Registered attendees will be able to hear you automatically.
During the session
Pre-recorded presentations will be managed by the technical staff according to the established schedule.
The question period will take place in livestream following the pre-recorded presentation. Once it’s time, the screen will be switched to panel mode by the technical staff and both the session chair and the speaker will appear side by side on screen. The session chair will lead the question period and time allotted.
You can use the Raise your hand tool to inform the moderator of your presence in the virtual room.
The Q&A tool will be used by registered attendees to ask questions. The session chair will choose the most relevant ones to read for presenter to answer during question period.
The Chat tool will used by session chair and technical staff to privately contact the presenters if needed. If you need technical assistance, you will be able to inform the moderator using this tool.
Tips: Test your audio and video as you join; Mute your microphone when not speaking; Position your webcam at eye level and make contact as much as possible.
If you need more information on how to use Zoom:
Optional PEACe Background is at your disposal to hide or standardize your backstage during your presentation, you can download it here. This feature works best with a green screen and uniform lighting, to allow Zoom to detect the difference between you and your background.
Please click here for instructions to change the standard background.
We recommend that you do a test beforehand to see which background works better for you, depending on your environment.
Zoom Tutorial: Changing your Virtual background (ENG)
To access the virtual conference and the session in which you are presenting:
Make sure to install Zoom on your computer or update it to Version 5.4 or later; it will be required to access the webinar and have full functionalities.
- Go to the Online Program
- Use the icon «LOGIN» available on the right of the top menu
- Enter your registration number and access code provided by Conference Secretariat
*Please note the access code will be sent in a reminder few days before the conference to all registrants
- A successful login returns you to the schedule of the Virtual Conference
- Click on the desired session at scheduled time and click on the icon "WATCH LIVE"
- The Zoom website launches and prompts you to confirm that you wish to enter the webinar
Download copies of past programs:
- PEACe conference in Newport, RI, USA in 2019
- PEACe conference in Valencia, Spain in 2017
- PEACe conference in San Diego, USA in 2015
- PEACe conference in Kananaskis, Canada in 2013
- PEACe conference in Cacais, Portugal in 2011
- PEACe program in Jackson Hole, USA in 2009